Tips to create posts and copy that’s easy to read.
Writing readable copy is important because readability ranks.
- Tip 1: Write clear paragraphs. Start with the most important sentence, then explain or elaborate on that sentence to help the reader grasp the concept of your article. Make sure your paragraphs aren’t too long.
- Tip 2: Write short sentences. They are easier to read and understand than longer ones. 10 – 15 words is a good length; each paragraph should only have one long sentence.
- Tip 3: Limit difficult words. They are difficult to read – remember that reading from a screen is hard for everyone so don’t make it harder! Words with four or more syllables should be avoided all together.
- Tip 4: Use transition words to make your writing more readable. Words like ‘because’, ‘therefore’ give direction to your readers and act as the glue between sentences.
- Tip 5: Mix it up! Alternate longer paragraphs and sentences with shorter ones and try using synonyms if you tend to use a particular word too often.
- Tip 6: Use the active voice. Example “mum hugged me” versus . Passive voice example, “I was hugged by mum”. Using the passive voice always makes your writing more distant and your message less clear.
Remember the aim is to make your writing appealing and readable which ranks it up!